Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Small Victories

Yesterday was a big day for me. I started the first day of the Couch to 5K program and I was very nervous about it. I seriously sprained my left ankle 2 months ago and was told by the doctor that running might not be on the horizon for a few months. So, I think that's part of the reason that I've been so hesitant about trying to get back into the swing of things. At least as of late.

I hopped on that treadmill and before I knew it, I was back in my old running mindset. The music was passing the minutes and I pushed through the pain. The pain of using muscles that have been sedentary for a LONG time. The pain from fear of injury. The pain of how unhappy I am about a lot of things right now. 35 minutes later, I had run/walk 1.77 miles. I swelled with pride!

My other small victory came last night while I was out with my blogging cohort, Shannon, and a couple of other girlfriends. We had dinner out and then went to the movies. Normally, I inhale popcorn, 2 kinds of candy and a Coke during a movie. Last night, I ate NONE of that stuff. I didn't even miss it. That was very surprising to me but I was so proud of myself for potentially leaving another bad habit in the past.

6 comments:

Craftcherry said...

Glad to hear your ankle is doing better! That's so awesome that you started C25K!!
I used to throw a bag of fruit and bottle of water in my purse for movies.

Fiona said...

I don't run (...yet?) so yay for you!

Laural Out Loud said...

Good job! It's that first step that always seems the hardest. Here's to continued motivation!

I put a Hansen's soda in my purse- not healthy, but it gives me something carbonated and sweet without any calories or carbs.

Shannon said...

Rome wasn't built in a day, right? There's nothing wrong with "small" victories!

Brandy@YDK said...

good for you!!!

Angela said...

Great job baby! And yay! On the turnaround of the movie snacks. I really do find that either taking my own candy or even taking a peanut butter sandwich in with me helps me avoid the concession counter for all except water. Keep up the great work! I will be joining you ladies soon to try to lose this baby weight!